Friday, May 21, 2010

Never thought you would turn out like your mother???

Last night, my third night home from my Germany trip... I realised that there was really no food in the house. The kids had tuckshop for lunch, meat pie and strawberry milk and I had eaten a packet of gingernut biscuits from food storage in their entirety for the day.... I thought I better get some groceries... I came home from the supermarket with two hundred dollars worth of food and nothing for dinner.... what is with that??

I did however have some fish fingers... I think they snuck into my trolley because I do not remember putting them in there... maybe I did it unconsciously.... fish fingers are soooooo not good for you, but nevertheless there they were... I remember as a kid my mother was not all that up with her cooking... we kinda lived on steak, sausages and fish fingers with vegies... turns out I am becoming more and more like my mother every day... Fish fingers it was for dinner.... I do recall when shopping that I made a conscious choice to not put the oven ready fries in the trolley so perhaps that was from my mothers teaching also?? Who knows... maybe one day I will be calling my kids to tell them what the chickens are doing... (My mother does this and I really kinda find it amusing and think i probably will be like this).


My kids have very specific ideas about what they want from life. Angus recently commented that I do not spend as much time in the kitchen as his friends parents... I said that maybe his friends parents were older than I was and did not have young children to take care of... he dismissed this idea and informed me that he was going to choose a wife carefully and make sure she was happy to cook afternoon teas and nice dinners.... turns out I have made some impact on his life!! The irony of it is, he will probably marry someone just like his me!!


8 comments:

  1. There is things I am avoiding doing and your Blog provided the perfect distraction..Thank you. How are the chickens??

    ReplyDelete
  2. And don't forget that turtle....my kids have been living on 2 minute noodles. they think they are in heaven. Yuck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. there's a time and a season. Now is the season of fish fingers (and all other quick food).

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol - you crack me up. Fish fingers aren't all that bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well tea tonight was great! So was afternoon tea ... not sure what Angus is going on about ... you're a great cook! Sometimes Uni assignments do come before food ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like you thoughts Greta!!

    Yes.... obviously have not spent enough time with turtles....

    I love my mum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm surprised, most mums don't cook these days.. so angus must know some chef mums...

    ReplyDelete
  8. this made me laugh simply because - i did the exact same last week - grocery shopped then got home and had fish fingers for dinner.. although we did have ours with the oven ready fries - thats was my can't be bothered cooking night...at least you did the vegies :)

    ReplyDelete